Re: [TECH] Lower sub frame questions...

> alright after seeing this item, I still don't understand what this item will
> prevent
> and where it attaches itself ..

Patrick, it attaches to the front frame "horns" (where you have the crack)
via the front arm bolts and it attaches to the main body of the car at the
rear a-arm studs.  The item is designed to prevent exactly what you had
happen.  It spreads the loads or "stress" (hence the name stress bar)
across the frame, instead of the load being concentrated on one point of
the frame.  Our Sciroccos, and other A1 chassis cars (Rabbits, early
Jettas, etc) have been known to have weak front subframes, both at the
horns where you had a break, and at the front crossmember (where the front
motor mount goes into.)  These bars strengthen the front subframe, but
only at the lower points...still nothing readily available for
strengthening the crossmember,,

> I don't understand the purpose of this item I would appreciate information
> ASAP, because if this is truly something that will prevent future damage on
> the car I will get it ordered pronto and get the chassis mechanic to install
> it once his repairs are completed.

Order one and get it on there...too bad it already broke, but atleast you
can help prevent it from happening again with one of these bars.  Peter
gets decent deals on Autotech stuff, give him a shout.

Eric

--
Eric
Westminster, CO

76 Honda CB400F Super Sport
80 Scirocco (GF's Daily Driver)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
84 Scirocco Automatic
88 Scirocco 16v (Parts car)
91 Cabriolet (2.0 8v swap and mechanical rebuild in progress)
00 Golf GL TDI (My Daily Driver)

-Kelli Fox