[tech] pedal assembly [non rocc]

The car is a '90 cabbie.  A buddies girlfriend just broke the pedal assembly
on her clutch.  It wasn't the clutch pedal itself, it is the metal sleeve
that goes through the firewall that the clutch cable passes through.  I am
suspecting the guy who adjusted her clutch cable apparently tightened it too
much (should have been replaced) and there was just too much pressure and it
snapped clean off at the base right up against the firewall.  My question is
this.  How big of a PITA is it to change the entire assembly?  I know it is
not easy or fun, but what is invloved?  I am assuming that the steereing
column can be separated although it looks like it might not be. If anyone
has encountered this could you please contact me so I can see what you have
done.  TIA.  BTW it is the same set up as our scirocco's. Any thoughts at
all are appreciated.

Jody Bailey
82 Scirocco 2L 8v
http://www.scirocco8v.com