Re: Starter

> Someone explain to me where a starter is found on Mk2 automatic?  Is it
> difficult to replace? TIA
>
> Sal

What have you gotten yourself into Sal? Hehehehe

They are in the wierdest place, and are a pain in the ass to replace, but
nothing that can't be done in an hour or so.  The starter is underneith
the exhaust manfold on the back side of the block.  It engages the flex
plate from the opposite side that manuals get bolted in.  You have to put
the car up on ramps and climb under there to see it.  easier to jack the
car up and put it on jack stands, cause with the passenger side axel in
its normal position it gets in the way, with the suspension hanging it
pulls the axel out of the way just enough to pull the starter out of
there.

Replaced the starter on my 84 Auto twice now (the first rebuildt one I put
in there was bad, grrrrrrrrrrrrrr) never want to do it again....

Oh and here is a tip, the starters for the later model automatics 88-90
Golf and Jettas are a bit beefier and fit perfectly, definately a
recommended upgrade.

--
Eric
Westminster, CO

76 Honda CB400F Super Sport
80 Scirocco (GF's Daily Driver)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
84 Scirocco Automatic
88 Scirocco 16v (Parts car)
91 Cabriolet (2.0 8v swap and mechanical rebuild in progress)
00 Golf GL TDI (My Daily Driver)

-Kelli Fox