Insurance Woes

Some may recall that I was rear ended a couple of weeks ago.  So I got an
estimate, sent it to the other drivers insurance company along with the
police report indicating her 100% fault.  They just sent me a revised
estimate cutting the original in half.  It seems they called up the shop
that I got the estimate at (even though I never said anything to the shop
about insurance, or ever planned to have it repaired there) and negotiated a
lower estimate based on a lower labor rate, used parts instead of new, and
reduced hours on pulling/squaring.

So my question is, can they do this?  Oh, they sent me the check also!
Never told me, it just showed up in the mail yesterday!  It seems to me that
an estimate based on a negotiated/bargained deal with one body shop using
lower rates and used parts is not an accurate valuation of the car.  I can't
walk into any body shop and negiate a deal like they did.

Am I wrong about feeling cheated by all this, or are they screwing me big
time?  Do I have a valid complaint, and grounds for legal recourse or what?

Hopefully someone out there can help me with some advise.

Brad