Re: Timing point on fly wheel. (again...)

Julie,

I'm not sure that I understood your drawing, but:

Engine off. If the "0" on the flywheel is aligned with the pointer in the
transmission housing, then the engine is at TDC for #1 cylinder.
If you are at TDC on the compression stroke, then both the intake and
exhaust valves for #1 will be closed, and the exhaust valve be the next
thing to open when the piston travels down to the bottom of the next stroke
(180 deg. from TDC).  Also, when you are at TDC for #1 cyl. on the
compression stroke, the camshaft sprocket will be oriented such that the
centerpunch mark on the inboard side will be aligned with the upper surface
of the head cover flange, on the front side of the engine.  Also, the "v"
notch in the main crankshaft pulley will be aligned with the centerpunch
mark on the intermediate shaft pulley.

Engine on. Shine timing light on flywheel.  By twisting the distributor, you
want to line up the stationary arrow in the transmission housing with the
"V" notch in the flywheel.  This will set your spark to 3 deg. ATDC.

BTW, if you were asking about your 16V car, then forget everything I said
about the intermediate shaft timing.

HTH.

Bill Scarince
'88 2L 16v