[A2] Window fell out of track

Slightly OT, but I think I'll ask anyway.

My brother called last night and asked if I had any ideas on how to get his
left door window back into its track.  He went away for a week, and when he
returned he rolled down his window and it didn't stay in the track in the
reguator.  He took the door panel off, and he can't get the window to drop
into the track.  I haven't had one apart, and he's three hours away, but I'm
going up there this weekend by coincidence.

He said there is a rubberish strip that kind of wraps around the bottom edge
of the glass and fits into the channel.  He tried putting the strip on the
glass, but he can't get the whole thing into the channel then.  He also
tried putting the strip in the channel, but then he can't put the glass into
the strip.

Is there a trick to this?  He doesn't want to try and pry the channel open
more for fear of permanent deformation.

TIA...
Aaron
'87 528e