Idle acting even weirder

Little update, started my car this morning and the idle shot up to about
2100, and then slowly went down to 800ish. A little while later I had to
drive it again, same thing. I drove it 3 more times today and it would jump
to 1500, and the same stuff.

I dumped a bottle of stp fuel injector cleaner in the tank. It's about half
full, and I put an off name brand of cleaner in it when it was full. I was
going to get Techron, as recommended, but the nearest exxon was kind of far
away and I was on my lunch break.

I bought some carb cleaner today and I'm going to try to clean the idle
stabilizer valve this weekend. When I'm doing this, are there any nearby
parts, cables, etc... that I should try to avoid spraying any of this stuff
on?

If this fixes my problem, should I try to adjust the idle? When I brought my
car back in after picking it up the first time, they told me they had
adjusted it to where it 'should' have been.

Thanks,
Matt Wagner
mattwagner@softhome.net
88 Scirocco 16v