Re: Alternator?/the headaches continue (long)

A bad 'regulator' would definitely cause cause other problems, like boiling
the battery acid, from overcharging, but worn brushes would simply give poor
charging current with varying symptoms, depending on load / battery charge,
etc.  Something else worth checking is the state of the slip rings on the
rotor that the brushes make contact with. If they are particularly dirty,
charging current will drop, giving same effect as worn brushes. Clean them
with alcohol based solvent & q-tips or a light rub with fine emery paper. A
tip for temporarily extending the life of the brushes is to stretch the
braided wire that attaches them to the regulator body. If you lightly grip
the brush end with pliers & pull it or use a blunt screwdriver to pry out
the brush slightly you can restore charging long enough to get yourself home
or go get a new regulator.

HTH,

Ewan Hopkins...

'85 Storm 2.0