Re: Reverse gear sounds funny

Reverse gear generally whines because it has straight cut gear teeth
whereas the other gears all have a helical cut primarily to keep them
from whining.
Also, when you engage reverse you are actually moving a gear to mesh
gear teeth. The rest of the gears are engaged by moving an engagement
sleeve to tie the gear to its shaft.
so, yeah, reverse is different.
Dan