RE: 16V top end clattering - impending doom?

> Did you make a series of hard left hand turns, at high rpm?
>
> Brian

Yes, but I've NEVER experienced this before Saturday, and I've certainly
autocrossed the car more than a few times before. It was kind of
embarassing, 'cause I sounded like a Miata. :)

The engine has 160,000 miles on it, and to my knowledge it has never been
opened up. Just the usual oil changes and tune-ups. I've driven it hard
since I got it at 125K, so I really can't complain about a sticky lifter.
I've already impressed the hell out of my family, who always owned domestic
cars until I got my VW. My Tempo was far-and-away the highest mileage car in
the family, and it crawled to 180K before it went ka-plooey. It looks like
my 16v will easily out-do that mark even if it needs new cam followers.

Neal