Re: engine decision's... I have made up my mind.

Schrick 274 or 280 assymetric are good cams with reasonable idle.
As far as the crank and rods, the VW pieces are virtually indestructable
forged parts already. Changing them out would be a waste of money. Same
with titanium valves or valve retainers. Not much benefit for a lot of
money.
I've heard of high flow injectors, but I just don't get it. The fuel
distributor determines flow. The CIS injectors just atomize it. This
isn't like solenoid injector with a specific flow rate.
Dan
PS. I've got the engine you're talking about. Stock injectors, crank,
rods, pistons, valves and retainers. Schrick 274, TT P & P, TT downpipe
and 2.25 exhaust. 70,000 miles, not a single failure, not a trace of
smoke and it sees 6500 regularly.