RE: 16V top end clattering - impending doom?

The reason he recommended ATF is because of its high detergent qualities. 1
quart is way to much, 1/2 quart maybe. Bring engine to operating tempurature
and drain oil and filter (reuse old filter), add 3 1/2 quarts of 30w oil
(yes straight) 1/2 of ATF. Run engine for 10 to 15 mins and turn of and let
cool, repeat this cycle 3 to 4 times (do not exceed 2000 rpm). Drain oil and
now replace the filter with a new one and straight 40w oil (high detergent
oil, most straight oils are HD oils). Run for 1000 to 1500 miles and change
oil and filter again with whatever oil you like. I live in Texas so my car
runs 40w 80% of the time and 20/40w 20% of the time.

Brian

88 16v
87 16v
86 8v (sold to neighbor)