16V top end clattering - impending doom?

After three runs at the autox, the top end of my 16V was clattering
like an old sewing machine.  I had just put Mobil 1 10W30 in the
previous day...I had been running 20W50 dino oil, but had not run the
car that hard previously.

Engine has ~145K, have not done compression check, runs strong with no
major oil burning.  I do get oil on the TB plates, but none drips down
to the filter, so overall it's in fine shape.

Just need some opinions on why the noise, what to do to prevent it, and
whether it's safe to keep pushing it without doing substantial damage.

TIA

=====
Ron (Cheapass)
'87 16V, ("Victor"), '93 Cabby ("Teufelhasen")
ICQ 108845455

If it ain't foggy, TURN OFF YOUR FOG LIGHTS.