Turbo="easy"? WUZ [RE: considering new changes to engine...]

Gary says:
> The easiest way to fast power for your car is to force air
> through it. Why? It has 8:5:1 compression...

If you're going to go through all that trouble, why not simply start with a
Corrado G60 engine and Digifant injection? The engine comes with all the
forced-induction-friendly features missing from an RD, such as a hydro head,
dished pistons, oil squirters, etc. Digifant is already well suited for the
extra fuel requirements. You can even buy complete "bolt-on" kits to convert
the engine to use a turbo, though you'd still need a custom exhaust
manifold.

Considering that Patrick want's something relatively easy, and isn't
expecting a 50%+ improvement in power, forced-induction probably isn't the
answer. While I agree that the "most effective" way to make power is through
forced induction (I'm doing it), it is certainly NOT the "easiest". Turbos,
no matter how you cut it, aren't cheap. They certainly aren't easy. Custom
intakes, custom exhaust manifolds, fuel issues, and other factors make
building a custom turbo motor something that is not for the weak-at-heart.
Even then, reliability issues are still likely. Compared to an swapping in
an Audi 2.0L block, a turbo install is anything BUT easy.

Speaking of which, does ANYBODY on this list have a WORKING
turbo/supercharged motor yet? For all you smart-asses out there, we're
talking Sciroccos here, not your Passat. :)

I know there are at least three or four people with serious
projects-in-progress, but I'm guessing there aren't more than one or two
people with working systems. I know Steve has his "factory" Calloway Mk2.
Drew has a  turbo diesel conversion. Is Wing's project running yet? I know
Honnold's isn't. Gary's isn't. Mine isn't. I haven't heard of any "Hardcore
VW Club" members on our list (unless Jasin or TMB are, but they're all-motor
16v's). Anyone else? Anyway, my point is that I bet there is an order of
magnitude (or two) more people with 2.0L 8v or 16v conversions. If F-I were
so simple, why aren't there more boosted cars on the list?

Neal