My 'new' 88 Scirocco, abused and missused (long)

Hi guys, I'm not quite new to the list, was a lurker about 2-3 years ago
when I almost bought a Scirocco. About a month ago I saw one advertised and
I decided to snatch it up. It's a red 88 16v, looks mostly stock except 15"
MB Motoring wheels and Toyo tires. It's gotten a tune up(replaced all 4
plugs). Has a few problems though. I thought I'd list them here and maybe
some of you can offer some advice.

Unsteady idling, shop said the idle stabilizer needed replacing. Wanted over
$200 for parts alone, ouch. Read in the archives and other places that it
might just need cleaning. Or the injector seals/o rings need to be replaced.
Oxygen sensor?

Noisy alternator. I havn't really noticed this myself, but I was hearing a
clatter. Thought it was the lifters, but the shop said it was from a missing
mount bolt. They adjusted the alternator's position as well. The shop said I
should replace it. Quoted me over $200. I know I can get one cheaper than
that.

Rear calipers seizing/sticking, had them adjust the parking break which
wasn't very effective. Shop recommends replacing them... $$$

Odometer works when it feels like it... found a bit of info on fixing
this...

Now and then the car will bottom out, or rather, the body kit will scrape
the road a bit. Normal? The car doesn't bounce any when I push down on the
ends though. Suspension 'seems' ok.

Paintjob not in the best of shape. Some of the clearcoat is peeling badly on
the rear passenger side. Some oxidization. The previous owner didnt even go
to the trouble of washing the car before trying to sell it. I used some
turtle rubbing compound and brought the shine back in the paint. Seems to
have fixed up some of the oxidization. Bumpers are starting to fade a bit.
Macco's or what?

Needs body work. Dent behind the front driver's side wheel well. Doesn't
look too bad, but a couple areas where the paint got scraped off is starting
to rust.

Muffler has some rusty spots on it... former owner said it has a hole in
it... doesn't seem loud to me, but does sound kind of throaty with a few
'poot' sounds coming from it.

Passenger exterior door handle doesn't work. Rear hatch lock trashed(result
of attempted break in). Front passenger side speaker not working(wiring
problem, switched the speakers with the driver's side and it works).

More info on the idle/alternator problems: The car normally idles around
800ish rpm. Occasional unsteady idling...700-950ish usually when the engine
was cold. After I picked the car up from the shop & started her up... HELLO!
Idle was going nuts.. hmm... drove to a gas station & filled up the tank,
dropped in a fuel injector cleaner. Noticed that the alternator belt was
flopping like mad. The idle was dropping low enough to where the engine
sounded like it was going to die and the battery light was flashing. This
will not do. Had them readjust the alternator, and the idle. The belt is
firm again, and the idle is better... but now it idles unsteady regardless
if its cold or warm. It was better before I had them mess with it. I think
I'll try a different shop next time.

Anyway, other than that... everything seems fine, if not great. Interior is
in pretty good shape(minus a few cracks, brokens knobs/switches etc..),
tires are nearly brand new, belts and hoses look good, compression is 210
all around. I'm starting to think I paid too much for it, but I'm determined
to get it into good shape.

Thanks,
Matt Wagner
mattwagner@softhome.net