Re: [A2] Timing belt replacement: dead water pump?

OK, so I started pulling everything apart to replace my timing belt.
After successfully removing the water pump pully (those strap wrenches
are awesome!) and stripping all four bolts for the vibration dampener
pully (good thing I bought new ones!) I noticed that the water pump
didn't seem to spin quite right.  The best way to describe it is almost
like the bearing was overtightened.  There's no play in it, and it turns
smoothly and all, but it won't spin freely and there's an ever-so-slight
creak.

I assume this water pump is near-kaput?  Or is this normal?  (please,
dear God someone tell me this is normal!!!)  I mean, so long as I'm in
there, I should replace the water pump...

Oh well, I guess this means I'm stuck driving the Porsche for a couple
more days...

Thanks,
B.

'82 Scirocco (a.k.a. "Fritz") SOLD