Re: V/C Gasket Sealant

     I guess I know the answer now.  I've had the car for about two years,
and have learned quite a bit from owning it as it has quite a few problems
arise.  I always try to learn how to fix it myself, and if I can't I get a
shop to do it.  On my Scirocco, the dealer installed the V/C gasket about
two years ago when I first bought the car and was having the strut
cartridges replaced. I didn't ask them to do it, but they said it needed to
be done, and I had only had the car about a week so I OK'd it. Sure enough,
its leaking now, with massive amounts of hardened clear silicon like sealant
around the edges.  The Bentley doesn't say to use sealant, but I figured the
dealer technicians must have known what they were doing.  I'm glad I asked
before I installed this gasket, and now know not to use the sealant.  I feel
like an idiot for installing sealant on the oil pan now, but was told to do
so by local "volkswagen mechanics" I asked first. Anyway,I'm glad to have
the list as a resource for these questions, and thanks to everyone who
replied to me about it.

Aaron