Re: V/C Gasket Sealant

On Tue, 03 Apr 2001 00:11:31 -0400 "Aaron Aunins" <aarons16v@hotmail.com>
writes:
> Hi everyone,
>
>      I have some Curkil non-hardening gasket sealant, and was
> wondering if
> this is suitable for installing the rubber Valve Cover Gasket on a
> 16V. The
> sealant on there now is a clear, hardening sealant which is leaking.
> I'm
> assuming it will work fine,(it worked well for my oil pan gasket)
> but just
> wanted to make sure that there  isn't something that will work much
> better.
>
> Thanks,
> Aaron
> 87 16V

The rubber valve cover gasket and even the cork gaskets, do not require
any sealant.

The only thing you need to do with a rubber valve cover gasket, is to
make
sure that you COMPLETELY de-grease both the bottom lip of the valve
cover,
where it seals against the top of the head, and the top of the head..

I use 2+2 carb cleaner, or Brakleen, as I cover the cam(s)...

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit", '84 GTI White For Sale
'84.5 Oddball Scirocco JH/FF
'79, '80, '84, '88 Scirocco rollers For Sale