Re: ['86 8V] weird idle, low RPM, engine problems

On Sun, 1 Apr 2001, Daun Yeagley wrote:

> --- Oliver Seiler <oseiler@acm.org> wrote:
> > [...]
> > My suspicion right now is that at least one injector is
> > having problems,
>
> Why?
>
> I would suspect the O2 sensor / system since the bad idle
> seems to be linked to it.

Hmm, maybe I should have described it differently. I don't actually think
the O2 sensor system is working wrong. Maybe if I just described it like
this:

The car idles badly (misfiring, small backfires, engine shaking), but
doesn't stall. Reduced power on acceleration, with the same misfiring,
etc. At some RPM (depends on the gear; 3000 in 3rd gear, for example)
power returns suddenly and no more misfires. If I stay at this RPM all is
well. If I'm decelerating the problems don't start again until I stop
decelerating (i.e., stay at a specific speed or speed up again).

That definite cut-in of power and the misfires is why I think there is a
problem with an injector.

Oliver Seiler -- Software Developer, Pivotal Software, http://www.pivotal.com
            Scirocco MkII Diary - http://osroc.weblogs.com