Re: smog/oxs/gauge questions

>From: "Joe Doty" <rocco2nr@hotmail.com>

>He said it would pass the emissions test, but
>it wouldn't pass visual because the OXS light doesn't light up initially
>when you start the car.

>Did non-CA cars not have the OXS light?  This is my theory; that the car
>was brought in out-of-state.

AFAIK if the car had an OXY sensor, then it should have the light. Haven't
studied that part of the wiring diagram, but I think that if the "OXY reset
box" (my own lingo, heh) is not plugged in, the light won't come on. Other
than that, you'd need to get out the volt meter and trace it down.

But screw that. Who is this "friend" of yours, and how come (s)he's so damn
ANAL about the light. Every time I've had a car smogged they've never
checked it. It doesn't come on in either of my cars. BTW, I just drive to
the station, park it in the lot and ask if they have time to do a smog
check. If not, I drive off. If they do, I drive the car up and leave it on
for them to hook up to. They never start it. I watch everything they do, and
the one time it failed (78, PO did 1.8 swap and hooked up non-functional OXY
system, incl. OXY sensor. Book said it was NOT supposed to have a sensor,
and it did. The smog guy was confused) He didn't charge me for the check at
all. Saved me $30.

This is Bay Area, BTW.

HTH

Jonas