Re: student in need of help.. pass. side motor mount

Corey Muscavitz wrote:

> ok... I'm gettin pissed!  I need some advice on doing a pass side motor
> mount on an 88 16v.  At school today, I took my car in to do the mount. Got
> it up in the air, and figured that I could pull the pass side bolt and un
> bolt the rear tranny mount and press the old insert out of the mount while
> it was still on the car.

Nope, this will not work. The mount is bonded in there by now, without
some kind of press it will not just fall out. Good news is you can cut
the rubber out with a hacksaw. Bad news is pressing the new one in is a
b*tch without having the mount out and maneuverable, and even then it's
not just a pop in thing.

> well.. I couldnt get the motor far enough down to
> get enough clearance.  so, I started looking at other ways to do it.(I also
> pulled the front mount off too)    I saw that there are 2 allen bolts that
> are showing that hold the mount to the motor.  Now, it's just an educated
> guess that there are more under the lower timing belt cover.  Am I right?

Yep, there is one more, it _is_ behind the cover.

> if I am, how the hell do I get the lower cover off??  Do I have to pull that
> crank pulley to get it off?  I really need to get this done ASAP.
> so, if any of you listers have ANY adivice at all, it would be VERY
> appreciated.
>
> thank you all very much,
> Corey
> 88 16v
>
> --

Well,

I am an 8 valve man, I have an 81. I had access issues getting to the
three bolts, as some were socket headed which made it harder. I was able
to get it by dropping the engine down a bit. It would help to cut some
of the end off the allen wrench to help it clear the side of the eng. bay.

As to removing the pulley to move the cover to get at the bolt- Uh, I
have heard it done but isn't there any other way? Can you just loosen
the cover up and slid it over some?

You need more help than I can give but hth anyway,
TBerk