smog/oxs/gauge questions

Well I finally got a break today to get my car to get smogged.  I took it to
a guy I know in town that hooks it up to the machine to see if it will pass
before I fail or have to pay.  He said it would pass the emissions test, but
it wouldn't pass visual because the OXS light doesn't light up initially
when you start the car.  I told him that I had swapped (what had thought
was) the original guage cluster out for a different one, and the original
one didn't have the OXS light at all but the one I had did.

Did non-CA cars not have the OXS light?  This is my theory; that the car was
brought in out-of-state.  He said he can't pass it until either the light
comes on or I get a waiver from a smog referee.  He's never seen a later VW
that didn't have the OXS at all.  I figure the o2 sensor has to be hooked up
and everything otherwise it wouldn't pass emissions.  Can anyone give me any
info or advice?

Thanks,
Joe

http://profiles.msn.com.