Re: Hard Starts

How long has your car been doing this?  I can think of 2 things, and they are both related to the electrical system.  I hope this is it, b/c the solutions are easy.

1)  Your system isn't charging correctly and isn't sending enough juice to the battery.  If this is a recent problem, chances are that you haven't run the car long enough to drain your battery completely.  Check the voltage coming out of the alternator by using a voltmeter and putting the +lead to the nut on the post where the cable from the starter bolts on, and the -ve lead to a ground source.  Voltage should be around 13.5.  Check the voltage at the starter, and finally check the voltage at the battery.  They shold all be VERY close to each other.  Otherwise there is a voltage drop in the system which could be your problem.  Also, make sure to check that the little blue wire is connected to the D+ terminal (I believe it is the D+ terminal, in any case, it is right below the thick gauge wire that comes from the starter).  If it is not connected, then the system won't charge.  The little blue wire leads through the firewall and into the cluster and is what makes your battery light come on.

2) Bad ground connections.  Check and clean all your ground connections.  It can help to put an extra ground wire from the case of the alternator to the -ve post of the battery.  You can also run a thick gauge cable from the coil mounting bolt to the -ve post of the battery.

I thinnk scirocco.org has a good write up on how/where to connect extra grounds.

HTH,

victor

>>> "Steve H" <16vrocco@del.net> 09/22 2:43 PM >>>
Hey,
  I am having problems getting my car started in the morning.  It will crank
and crank (I will only let it go for 15secs or so, then I shut it off, and
try again).  It will usually take 3 times of this in order for it to start.
Furthermore, on a colder morning, when I stop at the first stoplight (about
100yds), the engine will almost stall out...hanging around 400rpm or so
until I give it gas.  Then, once it is warmed up, everything is Ok.  If I
were to drive for 5mins, and then shut the car off for 5mins, it will start
usually without any problem....But it seems once the car sits, then I have a
problem.  Here are my observations :
  At first, I thought perhaps it was the fuel pump (as it may still be).
But I had a friend crank it, and it *smelled* rather rich while cranking and
when it started...Take that for what you may.  Secondly, most of the time,
the engine won't 'fire up'...I will be cranking, and then I will see the
tach needle twitch, then it I just let go of the key (so now its on the 'on'
position), the car will start.
Any ideas ????

Thanks,
-Steve H