RE: Poly vs Heavy Duty

I'm running 16" wheels, 40-series tires (Yoko A520), Koni/H&R suspension
with OEM bushings and bearings, the TT/VW Motorsport front/rear motor
mounts, a gutted cat and a DynoMax UltraFlo muffler. This setup is pushing
my limits as a daily driver. It's no problem around town, but long trips can
be headache-inducing. The 15hr trip from Tampa to Cincinnati was about all
my GF and I could stand.

The key to remember is that each of the components contributes a different
kind of vibration. Some can increase a lot before they become a problem
while others increase only a little to become unbearable. For instance, I
don't think my wheel/suspension combo (with my stock bushings) is very harsh
at all. The thing that has pushed me over the edge has been the hard motor
mounts combined with a straight-through exhaust. Vibration from the mounts
in addition the drone of the exhaust, is...well...exhausting! The mounts
have softened a little from when I first put them in, but the dash still
vibrates a bit at idle, and there are a couple of spots in the rev range
that make your head vibrate. The exhaust drone is IMHO the worst. I think
that if I put a non-straight-through muffler on, it would be a lot better.

There is NO WAY I'd put poly engine mounts in a street car. From what I
understand (no experience, admittedly), they're significantly stiffer than
my HD rubber setup, and I can't afford the dental bill.

As far as the poly suspension, I don't have much experience with it. I've
ridden in cars with poly suspension and found it to be very stiff but not as
punishing as I thought it would be (though the squeeks get irritating). I
guess it would depend on how smooth the road are where you live. Since it
isn't a constant vibration like the motor mounts, it isn't as hard to live
with.

YMMV!

Neal
'88 16v