Scirocco vs. Mazda 323 GTX (the epic battle)

Folks, I bought that Mazda 323 GTX and after just a week's worth of
experience with it I can draw some definite comparisons. Lemme break it
down for yuz:

chassis: Mazda is much stiffer and more communicative. Then again, the
A1 chassis was engineered in the very early 70s. Whaddya expect?

suspension: WOW!, the 323 actually has suspension travel -like yards of
it! No contest here, the Japwagen wins hands down. Sorry, Hans. You
lose. Congratulations, Mr. Kyoshi -a bottle of saki for you, sir!

handling: There is no comparison. The Mazda prevails.

brakes: -advantage Scirocco/ 323 has no feel at all -numb, utterly
lifeless, yuck, etc.

transmission: VW wins again in feel and sturdiness. GTXs are known to
blow out the 2nd gear synchros when driven hard after a long time. By
comparison I've done *obscene* things to VW trannies and they just keep
comin' back. We'll put aside the AWD issue...

engine: This is a tough comparison because the 323 is turbocharged. It
doesn't have much grunt off boost but what turbo motor does? Still, all
things considered, the 323 is stronger with it's little 1.6l.

tuneability: Without a doubt Volkswagen wins on parts choices and
convenience. *HOWEVER*, the GTX gets the prize for bang for the buck.
$1500 will take you beyond *200* driveable horsepower. Try that with a
VW. A few parts are interchangable from the RX-7 and MX-6 but the
compatibility is nowhere near the VW. Regardless, the Mazda wins this
round in a very split decision.

exclusivity/intrigue factor: Only 1200 323 GTXs were ever imported into
the U.S. and only in 1988. But how many people have ever heard of a
Scirocco? This one is a draw.

FUN!: In stock form a Scirocco 16v would probably be more entertaining
in the dry. In the wet or snow the GTX would eat the Veedub for lunch.
Draw.

creature comforts/ ergonomics: The GTX and Scirocco 16v have AC,
powerlocks, sunroof, and power windows alike. The Scirocco has better
seats but the Mazda has a much better ride... The ricer is nicer in the
long haul.

style: Volkswagen uber alles!!! The Mazda is about as inspiring as cold
oatmeal. My mom thinks it looks "cute" but do women have any other word
for cars they like? (-advance apologies to our 'rocco gals...)

The final verdict: Neither car is getting the chicks by itself but both
have their merits. So, which is it then?... . I remain as always the NJ
Scirocco nut!
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut