Re: WOT stress bar interference

--- Keith Fullerton <kefullerton@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Listers,
>
> The 84 8v that I bought a couple of months ago came
> with an ABD Racing
> upper stress bar (which looks pretty cool) and a 85
> GTI throttlebody.
> The problem...I don't think I can get WOT because
> the throttle cable
> hits the stress bar as it approaches WOT.

After pondeing this, I have come to the conculsion
that WOT is "wide open throttle" - correct?

 (actually
> it is the end of
> the throttle cable, where it attaches to the
> throttle, that hits the
> bar). This prevents the the throttle from opening
> fully and prevents
> the fuel enrichment switch from clicking on. It must
> get pretty close
> because I think the car has more power than my
> previous 84
> (R.I.P.)...Its just that if it has more to offer...I
> want it.
>
> So...Is it possible to reorient the throttle (i.e.
> rotate the throttle
> actuator),  with a corresponding lengthing of the
> throttle cable, and a
> slight bending of the fuel enrichment switch arm so
> that I get to WOT
> before it hits the stress bar?

Dunno.

> Does anyone else have an ADB Racing stress bar with
> this problem? If I
> raise the stress bar 1/4" using washers to give more
> clearance, will it
> hit the hood? It looks like there is already one
> spot where it might
> have been rubbing.

I would just get another bar, but I'm lazy.

> Also, Does a GTI throttle body add any significant
> performance over
> stock?

If the intake is port matched to the A2 GTI TB  - yes.
Techtonics dyno tested this mod (along with their
exhaust) and found that it increased HP a peak of
about 3-5 hp.

=====
Mark Peele
Owner of 20th Century VWs
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
For Sale: Various VW 13" Steel Wheels - free - you haul.
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)