Re: [mk1] Help identify this Rocco

--- Wojciech Galecki <galecki@umr.edu> wrote:

> Guys, over the Summer I found a mk1 at a wrecking
> yard and hopefully you
> can provide me with some info on whether it is a
> "special" model.
> 	It was red (faded) with the non-wrap around turn
> signals. It had a
> black dash that had a grey fascia instead of the
> wood trim.

Probably the fake chrome that preceded the 1978-1981
wood grain horror that came on most Sciroccos. I like
that cluster even better than the black ones used on
the "S" and similar models.

 The door panels
> were solid black.

Standard early Mk1 fare.

 There was a tach in the place
> where the clock mounts.

All U.S. Sciroccos came from the factory with tachs in
the instrument cluster (you know, next to the speedo).

 One
> of the doors that I could see had what looked like a
> stock sticker on the
> lower part of the door that said "Scirocco" with the
> two c's overlapping
> like on the AMT/Matchbox kit box.

This was available from the dealer. It was also
applied to the 1976.5 "Super Scirocco" (fuel
injected), which was a preview of the 1977 Scirocco
(1976 models began with carbs)

 Is this all part
> of some kind of package
> or just various goodies thrown together into/on an
> early mk1?

That's my take (guess) on it. (I almost bought a
similar Scirocco in 1977!)

=====
Mark Peele
Owner of 20th Century VWs
http://www.scirocco2.de/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM
For Sale: Various VW 13" Steel Wheels - free - you haul.
Need parts? try http://www.parts4vws.com/ (Potterman)
or http://www.germanautoparts.com/ (Adirondack)