Re: 16V 1/4 mile results... and dyno runs.(longish)

> I recently put on some 13x8x22 drag slicks and went 2 MPH slower but went
.2
> sec. quicker . I even added a fresh air intake by removing my outside
> headlight and making some piping up from a funnel some screen a piece of
3"
> exhuaust tubing and some 3" flexible duct . The only other thing I could
> think of was I put on new ball joints and did not get it aligned so I am
sure
> there was major scrubbing and also I was probably not getting a proper
> contact patch on launch . With the poor alignment she sure was a handfull
as
> I launched at 6000 rpm and fought major pull to the right . I have vowed
> break into the 13s before the snow flies and am even toying with the idea
of
> bringing it to the biggest import race in the midwest Sept. 30 and Oct. 1
> near Chicago .

    you and me both, brother!  last year, i made a promise to myself and
those around me that i would be in the 13s this year.  i'm almost there, but
that's not good enough.  after only one 1/4 mile event i've managed a
not-too-shabby 14.246 at 95.56mph.  i'm really hoping to hit one of these
test and tune nights at one of the local tracks.  if it's cool outside, i'm
convinced that it's going to happen.  the ingredients are there...the oven
just needs to be cooled down a little...

> Major mods to make my car go are as follows (for you new guys)..........

    wow, you sure you're not borrowing my car when i'm not lookin? ;)

> 80 S weighing 2000lbs with driver

    haven't weighed it yet, but i'll letcha'll know...

> replaced US bumpers W/euro rear and custom front (lost 70 lbs )

    both front and rear bumpers have been modded with a torch :)

> removed all carpet padding and rear seat

    my carpet has been put back in for that luxury-feel

> Aerodynamicly aided by taping A pillars, brake duct holes , remove wiper
and
> mirrors and place a custom made (by me) plexiglass cover over grille

    the last track day saw me dust off half a roll of duct tape on the front
of my car.  i'll have the plexi or carboard front cover prepped before i go
again.

> engine is a stock 2.0 16v bottom with obligitory 1.8 head polished by me
and
> given a 5 angle and fully rebuilt by machine shop with all new innards

    i'm doin the stock 2.0 bottom with a P&P/decked head with upgraded valve
springs (no cams yet) and TT timing gear (still set to 0º).

> I run a full TT race exhaust , muffler only no cat or resonator , dual 2"
dp

    currently, i have the TT race header, but the damn thing is too big.  i
scrape all over the place, and enuff people have told me thatthey see sparks
under my car where the damn thing hits the ground.  not good...i'm ordering
the TT dp today, and will hopefully be installing it at daun's next weekend
(jasin, you gonna be there, kid?)

    the rest of it is a TT 2.25" exhaust as well.  there is one resonator
and a muffler, but it's still loud as fuck.

> removed AC and PS / scirocco 16v conversion parts for manifolds and ECUs
> 2H trans with velocity diff kit still using 90mm axles

    i've got a trashed 9A tranny (after dusting my ACN tranny at the
bugshow).  second gear is super crunchy, and the axle flanges are super
loose.  time to fix them...  i'm doing the 100mm axle-thing.

> My best run as Ben said was a 14.071 @ 94.74 with a 60' of 1.98 and an
1/8th
> of 8.927 . I also ran a backup run of 14.094 @95.23

    the day that i ran the 14.264, i pulled off a 14.338/14.340 and a bunch
of other similar times.  i started the day at 14.841, but eventually cut a
half second off as i let the car cool down, and the weather (sort of) cooled
down a bit.  that's why i'm bankin on a chilly night as being my door to
13s.  this will happen...it had better happen in 2000, tho.

> Next time I plan on cooler weather and some alignment tuning to get me
that
> extra 8 hundreths that I require . Or maybe a light flywheel could be the
> trick , or a belly pan hmmmmm any other CHEAP ideas would be appreciated .

    hmm, alignment is something that i need as well.  the belly pan sounds
like a plan.  get yourself some carboard and strap it up underneath the car
so the air won't catch on anything.  if you can, jack the back of the car
up.  you got some stock springs or something like that that you can jam in
there for the day?  slam the front and raise the back, it might help you out
a bit.  of course, mad pressure in the back tires, low pressure in the
fronts.  preferably, a narrow set of 15" wheels in the back would be ideal,
as opposed to a set of 13s, or so i'm told.

    take the passenger seat out altogether, and if you feel like going a
little crazy, cut out the rear wheel well and replace it with something
light.  hm...if you wanna go really nuts, when you get to the track, take
out your rear hatch and get a piece of plexi to fit over it.  extreme, but
it'll take weight off the back, thereby adding more traction to the front

> I am seeing how quick I can go for minimal investment and still being a
daily
> driver , next spring I shall reveal my race only spec car .

    well, i'm the same as you except for that "minimal investment" part :)
this thing is killing my pocketbook, even with all the parts i have lying
around.  love costs large.

    best of luck, jasin, and don't forget, we gotta run, sucka.  ciao

jason
the mad bastard