Re: Y2k A1 VWs (was: I'm Back)

>From: "Scott Williams" <sfwilliams@home.com>

>I've got a question for ya. What does a Millenium-era A1 chassis car *feel*
>like.

Well, the car had 31,000 km on it by the time I got it. But it didn't
impress me much by way of feel. Maybe I'm just used to stiffer springs, but
it was pretty loose. Definite understeer, but not too much. The shifter
actually had quite a bit of side-to-side play in it already. The car felt
like your basic bottom-of-the-line rabbit. It was light and nimble, but
didn't pull up hills very well.

>Has VW stiffened the chassis at all?

I don't think so. I'm kicking myself for not checking for a 16v lower
stressbar, but I _highly_ doubt they put one there. It did not feel stiff at
all.

>Has the breed improved any? How about the fit and finish?

I would sadly have to say that, no, the A1 has not improved. For the fit and
finish. Keep in mind that this the absolute bottom of the line for VW in SA.
They make the A4 golf as well, with motors ranging from 1.6l to VR6. And the
A4 Jetta as well. (not BORA as in europe)
But back to the "Chico" The dash is the identical, down to the headlight
switches and hazard switches. The wiper lacked the "intermittent" setting,
as early rabbit's also did. The seats were basic, with very little
bolstering. The upholstery was cheap, but new. You could see daylight
through the passenger side door-seam and water leaked in when it was washed.
It has Dual-round headlights, like all european MK1 golfs. Some 1.4l
citigolfs I saw had factory Quad-lights and FUBA's. The bumpers are big and
look like the later Cabriolet bumpers, but no body kit. The body had a
beading behind the rear side windows, and some IMHO cheesy decorations on
the side.

But it took us over the worst of the dirt roads (not really that bad) with
confidence, and never let us down. And it got us over 40mpg at cruising.
True to the VW spirit.

Go here to see all of the Y2k VW's in SA

http://www.vw.co.za/range/index.html

Note that the Caddy and Vanagon are also still made there.

Also, although it's not listed for the 2000's, they still make the A1 Jetta
over there. They call it the Fox, and it has Quad lights and the bigger
bumpers. They may not make them for the 2000 line, but they looked very new.

anything I missed?

Jonas

http://profiles.msn.com.