Re: Fuel Pump Buzzing

    First you need to determine which one is buzzing.  The one in the
fuel tank, or the one outside in front of the rear passenger's wheel.
It will buzz for a second, when you turn the key on.  Then, after you
start the car, and the buzzing is noticablely louder than it should be.
I'd replace it.  I had to replace the one inside the tank and it was not
difficult.  I removed the bottom seat cushion, and found the opening.  I
needed a friend to help me as I didn't have the tool to get the cover
off.  We each took a large flat screwdriver and each pounded in opposite
counterclockwise directions.  This totally worked and I was able to pop
the opening off.  After inspecting the unit, I saw I also needed a bit
of rubber hose to fit onto the fuel pump as the original was worn and
had turned gummy with age.  A wise suggestion would be to also get a new
gasket O-ring for a brand new seal on the cover too.  Check it out.  The
pump should be about $50 or so if you check around.

--
DanK
'87 16V Black