Re: Replacing the Ignition Wiring

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000 22:22:02 -0700 "Lee D. Crawford"
<lcrawfor@csc.uvic.ca> writes:
> Hey Folks,
>
> Got some good response from my list of things to fix.
>
> The first thing I'm doing is replacing the ignition wiring, starting
> simple by replacing the coil, plug wires, plugs and distributor cap and

> rotor.
>
> I want to reposition the coil... but I'm not really sure where a
> good spot would be.  Has anyone moved their coil to a better spot?  If
so
> where?
I'm toying with installing my coil on the inside of the wiper cowl, using
the same mounting holes.

> What plugs/plug wires should I use?
I'd use Bosch Supers, Beru plugs, or NGK.

> When I replace the coil and distributor cap/rotor should I go to VW
> and get stock parts?
You can get Bosch through most import parts places.Beck Arnley is also
good.

> Crappy Tire (Canadian Tire) has the parts in stock...
> but well... its Crappy Tire... kinda seems like going to Walmart to buy

> a new suit...  If I want to kind of spiff up the performance should I
get
> something non-stock?
>
> L Crawford
> 84' 8v

Not that it will improve performance, but the '85 and up Sciroccos have
different terminals on the wires, cap, and coil.
The wires snap on to the distributor cap and coil, which prevents the
wires from sliding off the cap or coil.

I have a good '85 and up coil that I would sell for $20.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI
'84 Scirocco, '80 Scirocco, '88 Scirocco 16V