Stalling problem with lights on

Lately (well, for a while now, actually), my car likes to stutter and
stall whenever I have my headlights on.  I know there's a mechanism that
assures of correct idle regardless of alternator drain, and I think
that's the problem.  It'll idle fine, but when I turn the headlights on
idle drops to 200 or so, and if it's cold it'll just die, and if it's
warm, it'll stutter and struggle back to idle (or it'll die, depending
on its mood).  I'm going to look at my Bentely and see what I can find,
but does anyone else have this problem?  By the way, I'm running Hella
H4/H1 headlights, and Hella fogs (55w).
Nate
'84 8v