Re: Question of sanity

On Sat, 21 Oct 2000 10:33:10 -0400 "Julie Macfarlane"
<juliemac@telenet.net> writes:
> What the he** have I done? I have been outside trying to make sense
> of the wiring and have gotten lost in the process. Half of the old
wiring
> is disconnected from the fuse box, and only some of the wiring is used
> from the new harness....
> Do I just pull ALL the old wiring from the engine comp and re-lay
> the newer harness?
Well yeah, except you'll need to splice in the lights and stuff.

To do it right you will need to enlarge the firewall holes for the larger
harness. You can use a hole saw,
but I used a fibre cutting wheel, and carefully opened it up, keeping it
round somehow, and then I primered and painted it.

Bending the hole out so that you can fit the wire through is not the
ideal way to do it, it will rust, flow water, and it looks bad.

> The Newer harness does not have the underdash sections that I can
> see. Maybe in the boxes of junk though.
It's all there, except for the engine harness which is already installed.
Are you going to use the Scirocco instrumentation?
If you are, I could use the instrument panel connectors, they won't fit
the '89 Jetta instrument panel anyway.

> I think I will re-new my proscription for librium......
Ask for Xanex, instead. <g>

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"