Speedo prob....need help!

OK people,...here is the story.  My speedo wasn't working at all. (scirocco
II 16v) Followed the instructions on different sites.  Got everything apart
and now the speedo registers the MPH, but the mileage counter doesn't work.
So this is what I'm wondering.  The little red gear sits next to a gold
(brass?) "roller" on a bar that slides through the gears for the mileage
counter.  If I try to turn the red gear while holding the brass "roller",
nothing wants to turn.  (which I am thinking is the way it is suppose to
be.)  If I just turn the red gear without holding the brass "roller", then
the mileage counter seems to run like it is suppose to.  So now what?
Need help@!  Frustrated.
Thanks,
Chris