Re: Radiator Fan Help!

Lee Folkman wrote:

> My radiator fan quit working on my '84 Wolfs and I need to know how to wire
> it so that it is constantly on, so I can make it through chicago traffic
> without my car frying.  TIA!
>
> Lee Folkman
> '84 Wolfsburg Scirocco 8v(soon to be turbo)
> '84 Scirocco 8v
> '88 Scirocco 16v Shell(or maybe this one?)
> '82 Jetta Diesel(225,000+ and can still get 50+mpg)
> http://scirocco84.homepage.com
> http://www.andrews.edu/~folkman

1. Better to fix the overheating, the cooling systems works OK when it
works right.

2. Do you have A/C? The A/C setting on the dash will turn on the rad.
fan, and take it to the second speed if it's at the lower speed to begin with.

3. There is
A. a thermostat switch in the Rad,
B. A Relay in the fuse panel,
C. A fuse in the fuse panel,
D. The battery,
and of course some wire in the fan circuit.

You can pull the two wires from the thermo and short them together, the
fan should come on. It should be independent of the ign. switch- just as
the fan runs for some time after you shut off a hot car.

If this check works you need a new thermo. If it fails you may need a
new fuse, relay, and/ or fan, these can also be checked- it's pretty
easy to run 12v right to the fan real quick.

If you do decide to route power to it continuously at lease rig up a
switch in the cock pit so you can turn the thing on & off manually.

btw- You have a Bentley manual? Even the Hernias has an electrical
schematic in it. Helps.

hth,
TBerk