Re: f' n master cynlinder depression

On Wed, 18 Oct 2000 16:30:07 EDT CLaYpOoLME@aol.com writes:

> here's the scoop.  i went to a buddy of mine to get the rocco
> lowered ith hrs and bilsteins.  when he was in the process of pulling
everything
> apart, he pulled me aside and told me that i needed brake pads.  hooked
me for
> an extra 20 bucks on em and putthe whole car back together.  when we
were
> about to take it out for the maiden voyage, i went to turn the car on
and bam
>  the brake pedal went all the way to the floor.  he tried bleeding them

> with me and it didn't get any better.  this was the point where he told
me
> that i needed a new master.  i bit the bullet, knowing that my brake
> pressure was nothing to rve about to begin with.  he dropped another
one in for a
> mere 25 bucks and all seemed to be running perfect.  until 2 days
later.  i
> hit the brakes again and to the floorthey went.  opened up the hood ad
the
> res was totally empty.  this was the point where i purchased multiple
> bottles of dot 4.  it seems to run out after every 100 or so miles of
driving..
> this is going to get really expensive.  although i  haven't yet opened
everything up to take a huge look..a brief viw
> reveals that the fluid is coming out of the area where the master
connects
> to the brake booster (in the rear). anybody have any sugestions as far
as
> the rigging of this so it does not leak so bad?
I bought my RIP '87 16V Scirocco with a "bad M/cyl" and it was just a
leaking proportioning valve.

Did you bench bleed the replacement M/cyl?

> or how bout anybody with a m.c. that they could sell me for cheap
> (peter lindvall?).  this wouldn't be that big a deal cept on sat i'm
> supposed to be going to scott williams road rally. no
brakes....probably not
> happening.
> does it even have to be a rocco master?  could one from lets say an
> audi 5k turbo fit?

'85 and up Scirocco (and probably Cabriolet) M/cyl's will bolt right up.

I have a couple of M/cyl...

I have a new rebuilt 20 mm M/cyl, that will bolt right up, it looks
identical to a 22 mm, I'd sell it for $30.

I also have a used 22 mm M/cyl, that I would sell for $25.

I would strongly recommend getting a new M/cyl, and I can get new rebuilt
22 mm M/cyl's for $75 with the old one,
and they have a lifetime warranty.

Btw, I also have an almost new ATE M/cyl that fits '80 and '81 Sciroccos,
and I'd sell it for $30.
By almost new, I mean that it has well under 10K miles on a new (not
rebuilt) german ATE M/cyl.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car, new rebuilt 22 mm A1 M/cyl
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit" , new rebuilt 21 mm A1 M/cyl
'80, '84, '88 Scirocco rollers