Re: HELP!!!!

>From: mike <rept@uswest.net>

>What did the 1.8T originally come from?

All for US.
Starting in 96(?) they were available on the Audi A4, then they came on the
new Passats in circa 98. These are the most common, but they are mounted
longitudinal, not transverse as in A1-A4 cars. Extra cost to get fitting
stuff.
In late 99 they came out with the 1.8T beetle, and we now have Golf's and
Jetta's with the 1.8T motor. All these would be ideal donors.

>How common are they to find for sale?

Very Rare. In 3-4 years they should be more common as people start wrecking
their 1.8t cars. Of course you could always pick up a brand spankin' new one
from the VW dealer. Or not. :-)

>What would be the projected costs to be expected and components I should
>also be searching for (ie. injection, computer, manifold )?

This is hard to say. The conponents are so uncommon that you don't really
have a selection to choose from. If someone sells a computer for $250, then
you have to decide do you want it for that or not. If you don't get it, then
someone else will, and you might have to wait a _long_ time for another to
surface. Some tuners do this install. Call  Momentum Motorsports in Canada
(do a web search) and ask them how much it would cost. I'd bet on 7-10 grand
for the whole deal. 5 would be a steal.

>I would be most happy to achieve 250 Hp with it being street legal.

No sh*t!! I'd be crapping my pants everyday on my way to work. :-)
Unfortunately, 250HP would probably never be legal. At least with the smog
standards in CA. It would be "streetable" but that is a _completely_
different thing. I don't even think any of the chips are CARB certified, let
alone a bigger turbo.

Don't want to sound discouraging or anything. But there is a reason why
every single person out there does not have a 1.8T in their hotrod VW. It's
just too damn expensive right now.

HTH
Jonas

http://profiles.msn.com.