Re: HELP!!!!

>From: mike <rept@uswest.net>

>I just found out that I have a 1.6 L instead of a 1.7 as I was
>repeatedly told. THIS IS AN EMERGENCY!

Dude, relax. The 81S in the US came with the 1.7. However, you prolly wish
you had the 1.6, as I've heard that it revs up much faster into the power
band, leading to a quicker feel. Although I wouldn't know first hand, my 78
had the 1.8 already when I bought it.

>I need a 2.0 L engine w/ injection- asap-
>I would also be willing to look at G60 motor to put turbo's on.

Now we're talking! Engine swaps, baby, the stuff of wet dreams and extensive
tire wear. A breakdown as I see it.

The 2.0 8v is definitely the swap you want if you are looking for simplicity
and clockwork reliability. You'd be able to use your CIS and a head from a
JH motor. (1.8 sciroccos, some cabriolets, rabbit GTI's, mk1 GLI's)
Basically you're removing and reinstalling the same motor. And getting an
80+% gain in power. These can be massaged up to 145-150 horses and still
remain street "legal" (except for emissions technicalities, but it'll run
very clean)

16V is a significantly greater effort, but if you get a wrecked donor 16v
Scirocco with good internals, then it all transfers straight over. If going
through all the trouble anyway, you might as well source out a 2.0l bottom
end to replace the 1.8l in the Scirocco. What's the verdict guys, is ~180HP
the upper limit on the street? Where you at, Brett?

The G60 requires extensive fabrication to make everything fit. Not worth it
if left stock. G60 engine mods are $$$ too. But you get props if you
successfully complete it.

Then there is the 1.8T. --or as Homer Simpson would say-- Mmmmm, five valves
and a turbo (drool). The potential of this motor is still unclear, although
Full Race trim packages are advertised to over 400 HP. Not for a daily
driver though. But with a chip, and exhaust alone you can knock on the 200HP
door. Swap turbo's and the door is wide open. The Fabrication necessary is
well worth it IMHO.

As many have said, the VR6 adds way too much weight up front. This would
ruin the balance of the car and destroy the handling characteristic of the
car. Since the handling is the reason I own a scirocco and not a Camaro, I
would _never_ consider this swap. It would be fast in the straight line,
however. Could a waterpumper break the 10 second barrier? Wanna try? On
secont thought, go with the 1.8T.

HTH

Jonas
85 Scirocco 2.0