RE: Proper oil pressure?

<snip Nate>
what is proper oil pressure at idle, oil warm?  While
driving, I get 2-3 bar, but at idle it drops to less than .5 bar, and my
oil light comes on (sometimes) until pressure is back up.
<end Nate>

According to Bentley, you should read 2 bar and 2000 rpm on a fully warmed
up engine.  You're situation is the same as mine, but I don't believe it's
normal.  What weight oil are you using?  That will have some impact if it's
too thin.  Have you checked the oil pressure on something other than the
aftermarket gauge?  This is my next step.  Verify that you do have an oil
pressure problem and not a sender problem.  If you do have an oil pressure
problem, test compression in the cylinders.  If compression is good, it
points towards a bad oil pump (look for higher oil temps too).  If
compression is bad, your low oil pressure could be a result of worn engine
parts (look for blue smoke out of the exhaust).  HTH.

- Brad
'86.5 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v
'76 International Scout II