Re: Rad Fan Not Running

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000 14:54:13 -0700 "Sal Guzzo" <pellom@yorku.ca> writes:
> I've been trying to determine why my rad fan doesn't wanna turn on
> when the engine/coolant gets hot.
>
> I've tested the thermo switch by putting it in boiling water and
> testing for continuity.  When the water boiled, the multimeter buzzed
telling me
> that there's continuity.  Hence, the thermo switch works.  I then by
> passed the thermo switch and the fan ran.  Now what?  Initially, the PO
had put
> in  a manual switch to turn the rad fan on and off.  During the engine
> swap, I decided to ditch the manual switch and rely on the old system
which
> is dependent on temp.  I was onder the assumption that if the thermo
> switch and the fan ran, then there should be not problems, right?  Is
there
> anything else that I'm missing? Thanks
>
> Sal

To make that work, I'd replace the rad fan switch harness, with one from
an '83 and up, (I think) Scirocco, it is relayed and works better.
The ideal setup uses a dual speed fan from a 16V Scirocco or A2, along
with the harness and relay.
I installed that in my GTI and it works great.

Cover any exposed terminals with dielectric grease on the replacement
harness, so that it doesn't corrode.

Peter
'79 Scirocco 16V project car
'83 GTI "Caged Rabbit"