RE: Tires (50mm intakes)

Actually, lots of engines have been made with multiple-stage intakes.  It's
a very simple concept, but there's a lot of sophistication to it.  It's
basically a "tuned intake" that is tuned for several different RPMs.  If you
wanted to do it on your own, without all the resources of a manufacturer,
you could look at the torque curve for your engine.  Find the peak, look at
the RPM, and follow a fairly simple formula to calculate the optimum length
for your intake.  Then look at a fluid mechanics book to see how the bends
in the system affect the effective length, and build something.  Now re-run
your engine on the dyno and look at your torque curve.  The peak should
occur around the same RPM, but if you did everything right, it's now higher.

I believe F*&d was using a 3-stage intake on their Triton V8s in their
trucks until a couple of years ago when they switched to a 2-stage intake.
In those cases, I assume you are tuning for two (or three) torque peaks
rather than one.

Aaron
'82 Scirocco
'84 Scirocco