Re: fuel economy

At 02:21 PM 10/3/00 , Jim Jarrett wrote:

>I love this list. :-)

We love ya too, Jim. :)

>I just put gas in my 16v (it's a 1.8 w/ 2nd oversize pistons to make it
>~1.9l), and calculated fuel economy.  I've been able to track it for 680
>miles/
>1094km, and have gotten 25.7 mi/gal / 9.15l/100km

Not bad at all.  Remember, the Cabby has a considerably higher coefficient
of drag, and a higher curb weight, so its mileage will not be as good as
the Mk2 Scirocco.

>I wasn't sure what a stock 1.8 16v got, and here it was, so I'm not doing too
>bad.  My engine has about 1500 miles/2400km since rebuild.  I wonder if it
>will
>go up as I put more miles on it?

Most definitely.  Generally, mileage increases up until the 2000 or 3000
mile mark, depending on the engine.  My guess is that if you've gotten
almost 26mpg for the last couple hundred miles, you'll wind up topping out
somewhere around 28mpg.

You should do a spreadsheet like I have on the Scirocco -- every single
tank I've put in it since the day I got it.  Not missing a single
one.  It's really cool to be able to plot fuel economy over date so you can
see how it falls in the winter.  Or how it jumps up when you get a new 5th
gear... or do an oil change... or an alignment.  Neato-stuff for the anal
retentive folk. :)

Jason

>| Jim Jarrett                      http://www2.rpa.net/~jarrett |
>| jarrett@<NOSPAM>rpa.net                                       |
>|                     "Cue the Sun."                            |
>|               -Ed Harris, _The_Truman_Show_                   |

1987 Scirocco 16v
1988 Mercedes 190E Sport Euro

http://www.scirocco16v.org