Re: Coilovers?...

Brett Van Sprewenburg wrote:

> I'm probably going to do this myself also.  While I was mowing the lawn
> today, I think I decided to buy a set of complete H&R coilovers for
> the 16v street car, and move the Konis to the racecar with the GC coilovers
> & Eibach springs.

When swapping, just keep in mind that Konis, Bilsteins, Boges, etc., have
different rear shock diameters. I know for a fact that a coilover sleeve made
for a Koni/Boge is too small to fit a Bilstein. Don't assume that your parts
are going to fit the back without measuring.

> Not to sure on the rear particulars,
> maybe the threaded collar sits on the same retaining ring as the stock
> lower spring perch...?  Anyway else know about that?

Yes, the sleeves sit on the retaining ring. Be sure to install the sleeves
right side up or they'll move the ring out of it's groove and will collapse the
suspension. Don't ask me how I found this out in the middle of a rally
stage....

> Well, for racing I have a set of Eibach 350lb rears and 325lb fronts.
> For the street, I'd imagine something more like 275r, 250fr.  Anyone
> else have any input on what works for them on the street?

I've never run coilovers on the front of my street car and don't have knowledge
of an appropriate rate. However, I did run them in the back of my first GTi
-the JackRabbit. A 200lb rate is what I went with. This was enough rate to give
me the turn in response that I desired but not so much that it was unbearably
stiff and so that it lost traction in the snow and on bumpy roads. A 250lb
spring would work, too, but things will be rather... eh.. firm?
--
Scott F. Williams
NJ Scirocco nut

Check out our rally team's website!