84 GTI 4k Tranny..WooHoo!

Hey List,

Just got off the phone with my mechanic. You guys remember a while back when I posted to the list that my mechanic swore that I had a cam in my 1.8..He said it was the fastest "stock" 1.8 he had ever driven, and said something must have been done to the head or engine (i.e.. cam). The low end torque was phenomenal for a stock 1.8. Well as the subject states, he is putting my 2.0 together today and he slapped the clutch on the tranny, and to his amazement he found it was just spinning away...He then looked up the codes and found out the it is an 8v GTI 4k Tranny with 100mm flanges!!! What does this mean ? Well, it will pull like balls once it is all done (Tuesday or Wednesday)...BUT I will lose the top end that the 16v's are known for...I can live with that since I will be racing 0-60 and 1/4 mile more than I will be racing at top speed down the highway...Since I will be moving the family back to NJ (where I have 13 points and I lose my license for spitting on the sidewalk), I'd say this is a good thing...Anyway just thought I'd share...This project has just been one thing after another, you also remember when I asked if anyone in S.C. could check out my 2.0 before I bought it and shipped it up to Mass. ? Well, it turned out that nobody was close to the seller, so I had to take a chance and I sent the guy a $ 600.00 money order to cover the engine and the shipping. The engine arrived, my mechanic pulled the manifold off and found that number 1 and 4 cylinder were leaking oil (maybe valve seals, rings or who knows). Sooooo, He went and pulled the head off only to find that the engine walls were scored! DOH! It would need a complete rebore / rebuild, oversize pistons (the works). I couldn't afford that otherwise I would have done that in the first place. Turns out my mechanic had a buddy that had just bought a Corrado and didn't need his REBUILT 2.0 but did need money, I cut a deal with the gut for his 2.0 $ 450.00 completely rebuilt and painted. Well, I just can't wait to finally drive it...

Future Mods: Motronic, Chip,  260 Shrick intake and 276 exhaust...<<(sp.?)

Later,

Jason87vw@nac.net

87 Roc (GTI something, what will I find next?)