Re: Panning for gold?

On Tue, 28 Nov 2000 12:51:22 -0500 thescirocco@juno.com writes:

>If you are lucky, you might be able to replace the rod/main bearings,
>but it is almost easier to drop in another engine.

I disagree from a few points and agree on another.

>From the view of being an experienced mechanic, there's alot more to do
with an engine change. (Labor, parts.)

>From the view of somebody who is limited on skills and for giggles,
tools, its easier to do a bearing change. (top of my head you need tools
to get the oil pan off, oil pump, caps and the head of a nail to get the
top of the bearings out. (its a kewl krewd trick but it works.) The parts
list (and cost) would be smaller too.

>From the view that you wont know what shape the crankshaft will be in
until you drop a few caps, there might be more damage done that would
warrant an engine change.

if I were (assuming he's like the rest of the list, broke/poor ect.) in
his shoes, id be inclined to spend an hour dropping the pan and see what
condition the crank and the bearings are in. Then go from there.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi 8V                   84' Scirocco 8V
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 30-   81' Scirocco<-- FREE to a good home!
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!