Re: Panning for gold?

On Mon, 27 Nov 2000 08:59:03 -0600 Nate Mellom <bronson@inwave.com>
writes:
>When I pulled my oil pan to change my oil pump, I noticed what looked
>like pieces of gold flake in my oil pan.  What would this be from?
>Also, the pump had a bunch of baked-on oil and it smelled like it had
>been cooked in the oven, it was not happy.
>Anyone?
>Nate
>'84 8v

Rod and main bearings have a coating of lead on top of copper. As long as
they have adequate oil supply they typically last a long time (at least
100,000 miles). its fairly common to find SOME shavings in the oil pan
but this should be a very fine deposit. (READ- Hard to see and no really
big pieces.)

It sounds like you had run the motor without oil pressure or low pressure
to cause the damage. Unless of course this is a high mileage engine and
its just due for a bearing change. (Depending on the condition of the
main and rod journals.) At the very least, change the bearings and hope
for the best. Most of the time when the bearings are able to give off
shavings then there is a good chance that the crankshaft will need to
come out for a grind and/or polish.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi 8V                   84' Scirocco 8V
82' Scirocco GTi -FSP 30-   81' Scirocco<-- FREE to a good home!
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and best looking Scirocco in all of San
Diego!