Blinking Coolant Light

After ditching the a/c unit and a coupla wires from the unit, my coolanlt
sensor light keeps blinking and the fan decides not to turn.  The car is an
84 Scirocco.  I replaced the thermoswitch today but I haven't tried running
the car into high water temps.   I'll try tomorrow but I wanna know, what
causes that light to remain blinking constantly?  Thermostat, relay (I
already checked the fuse), thermoswitch?  Anything else to look for?

TIA

Sal