BINGO!

To all who felt is was ignition-related, score ONE.

It warmed up today a bit so I spent some time under the hood.
Unfortunately, the car is parked under a carport with little light hitting
the bay (my fault), so looking around wasn't that easy.  Spotted a collapsed
vacuum hose coming off the T-connector that connects to the distributor.
Set it up in a temp position where I'd get some air passage through the hose
and BLAMMO!  Just a sec for fuel pressure and over she went (still gonna get
me a used pump and carry it tho').

Trying to score some braided vacuum hose now (VA rednecks don't need such
stuff, so it's hard to find).  But I'll go with reg hose for a bit.  I am
gonna re-run all my vacuum lines now.  And I am dedicating myself from here
on out to fixing/maintaining all electrical connections/wiring for all
vehicles.  This is just too much of a pisser.  'Course, only happens when it
drops below 35 degrees.....

HERE's THE BIGGIE QUESTION:  if it was the vacuum hose cutting off the
distributor, why did I still not at least hear the pump energize, folks?
That should directly related to the starter circuit (if I'm not mistaken)
and not the hall sender.  Yeah, I understand the pump shuts down if the hall
sender signal doesn't reach it, but...

Oh well.

-PK