Think the fuel pump is toast

Hey all,

Went out this afternoon to check it all out.  Checked the Hall sender wiring
(not great, but no breakage, openings, or anything), so I don't think it's
ignition.

Tried to start her up, but no start. Turns over strong but, like, no fuel
delivery (and since it's cold I can't KEEP trying to turn it over).  I heard
the relay clicking sporadically.  The Jetta relay is not the same part
number or size (missing a circuit - don't know what it's for yet).  Same
poles ( 30 and 87) and whatnot and same amperage.  Tried that but nothing
either.

At this point I suspect the fuel pump.  Question is, how to check for fuel
pressure?  IF the pump is gone, then am I right by assuming that all
residual pressure in the system is shot also?  Can I slightly relieve
pressure at the fuel filter intake (pump side) to see if pressure is there
or not?  Or would that be an invalid test for pressure?  I don't feel like
getting an injector out since I don't have the tool here, the o-rings are
toast, and it's below freezing outside.

Also, I am interested in making the fuel pump relay jumper wire.  I don't
have any wiring here except what is on the Jetta (HAHAHA).  Seriously.
Anything there gonna work?

Thanks,
-PK