Re: HVAC Control head...88 Scirocco 16v

yes, your flaps are vacuum controlled.  I had an 84 with A/C that the
flaps were inoperative.  I found the vacuum line that heads off to the
passenger compartment when I pulled the line with the engine running there
was no vacuum on the engine side.  There is a little check valve (at least
on the 8vs) that had gone bad and was blocking the vacuum.  Replaced it
and my controls worked perfectly again!

My advise, trace that vacuum line to the engine first, and make sure it is
actually getting vacuum applied to it.

Eric

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, S.Coleman wrote:

> I remember a while back someone speaking of problems with their control head
> on the HVAC controls inside the car.  Did you ever get it figured out?  My
> controls are not responding as they should.  (vents are not opening and
> closing)  But before I dig deeper into this thing.....In the Bentley..page
> 12-13 there is a Pic that shows how the vacuum line should be connected.  Is
> this correct?  I have found inaccuracies in the Bentley's over the
> years...wondering if this is another.  Cause my vacuum lines aren't even
> close to the way these are laid out.  Someone speak up.  I need heat.  :^)
> Thanks,
> chris

Eric

80 Scirocco (GF's Daily Driver)
81 Scirocco S (2.0 16v swap and complete restoration in progress)
91 Cabriolet (2.0 8v swap and mechanical rebuild in progress)
97 Golf Trek (Parts car)
00 Golf GL TDI (My Daily Driver)

-Kelli Fox